Sunday, October 28, 2012

Emeril Lagasse: Egg Salad Supreme


I've made egg salad before.  Who hasn't?  But honestly, I've still been looking for the best egg salad.  The one that made me stop looking for egg salad recipes because I had found the magical answer.  Am I the only one who does this?  Probably.

This egg salad is a mish-mash of a recipe from Emeril Lagasse, the insistence of an Aussie on a cooking forum that egg salad HAS to have curry powder, and a bunch of fiddling of my own.  And I think I have found my egg salad nirvana.  I could eat this on a piece of toasted Pepperidge Farm Italian bread for lunch every day.  Well, at least for a week.  And no, Pepperidge Farm isn't paying me to plug their bread.  But they could (hint hint).

Egg Salad Supreme
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse

6 large eggs, hard-boiled
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
½ teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon celery salt
¼ cup celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons capers, drained
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled

Roughly chop the eggs or mash with a fork and place them in a mixing bowl.  Add the mustard, paprika, curry powder, celery salt, celery, capers, and chives.  Fold in the mayonnaise and bacon pieces.  Stir with a rubber spatula until very well blended.  Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: