Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Champurrado (Mexican Hot Chocolate)


I've been having some trouble getting in the mood for Christmas this year.  I blame it on the fact that we keep hitting 80 degrees here in Texas.  That's enough to make a grinch out of anyone.  I mean, Christmas is supposed to be cold and snowy and a lot like England, right?  Part of my plan to get myself in the mood was to follow a list of activities.  Christmas activities.  Things like decorating and wrapping presents and listening to bad Christmas carol remakes.  But I also planned to make some real hot chocolate.  And now that I live in Texas, real hot chocolate is spiced Mexican hot chocolate.

Champurrado (Mexican Hot Chocolate)

2 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons hot chocolate mix (such as Ghirardelli)
 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of chipotle chile powder
Pinch of ground nutmeg
2 drops almond extract
2 drops vanilla extract

Whisk together all ingredients in a pan on the stove over medium heat until it's steaming, and then pour it into a mug.  Top with a marshmallow.  Okay, to be honest, you top it with one marshmallow when people are looking and then pop two more on when their backs are turned.

1 delicious mug of hot chocolate

No comments: