Monday, November 18, 2013

Allrecipes: Chicken Divan


I was always that weird kid in school who didn't mind when they pulled out the tray of broccoli at lunch in the cafeteria.  I even requested it from among many choices.  And my friends would watch me eat, almost fascinated by the fact that I was doing it voluntarily.  Hey, I liked my veggies, what can I say.  And I still like almost anything made with broccoli.  Anything savory.  Broccoli and chocolate are probably a no-no.

My mom only made chicken divan once that I can remember, but I really liked it.  (Wait a minute...why did this only make one appearance in my childhood if I liked it??)  I'm not normally one for a can of cream of mushroom soup, but I just haven't found a perfect replacement for that umami MSG deliciousness, even though I know it's probably slowly growing a tumor somewhere in my body.  Plus, it's fast.  And since I just want to crawl in bed when I get home from work lately, I'm all about fast.

Chicken Divan
Loosely adapted from Allrecipes

½ rotisserie chicken, bones and skin discarded, meat kept in bite-sized chunks
1½ cups frozen chopped broccoli
1 (10¾-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
 cup milk
Dash of garlic powder
 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
½ sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Cook the frozen broccoli according to package directions.  Place the cooked broccoli in the bottom of a casserole dish or 9-inch pie dish.  Top with the chicken.  In a bowl, mix together the canned soup, milk, garlic powder, and Tabasco sauce.  Pour the mixture over the chicken.  Sprinkle with the Cheddar cheese, then with the crackers.

Bake until bubbly and brown, about 25 minutes.  Serve over rice.

Makes 6 servings

No comments: