Saturday, November 09, 2013

Garnish with Lemon: Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn)


So I had one lonely corncob left in my refrigerator.  And it seemed a shame to throw away the last corn I would probably have until next summer.  But what do you make with one ear of corn?  I wanted it to be special, not just boiled.  Then, since I'm on a Mexican kick lately, I thought of the corn they serve on the streets.  Roasted and slathered with mayonnaise and cheese.  Perfect.

I used my grill pan to sear the corn since I didn't want to get out my charcoal grill for one ear of corn.  It seemed to work pretty well, but I didn't get as nice of grill marks.  Surprise, surprise.  I also hadn't planned ahead and bought cotija cheese, so I subbed with the Parmesan.  It still turned out tasty and pleasing, and I will definitely be trying this again the next time I see some decent corn.

Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn)
Adapted from Garnish with Lemon blog

4 ears corn, silks and husks removed
Grapeseed or olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
¼ cup mayonnaise
⅓ to ½ cup grated cotija, queso fresco, or Parmesan cheese
Cayenne pepper to taste
Handful cilantro, chopped
4 lime wedges

Rub corn with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on preheated grill or grill pan and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or to desired degree of doneness, turning occasionally. Spread each ear of corn with mayonnaise, then sprinkle with cotija cheese, cayenne pepper, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and squeeze lime juice over corn just before eating.

No comments: