Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Saveur: Hawaiian Cabbage Salad


I had this salad for the first time years ago at a potluck at my office.  At first I was a bit suspicious.  I mean, ramen noodles are an ingredient.  Only recently did I figure out that this salad is actually a thing in Hawaii.  I guess that makes sense.  I mean, they also idolize Spam.

This is a perfect winter salad, since cabbage pretty much never goes out of season.  The almonds and ramen and breadsticks give a nice crunch, and the black sesame seeds make it interesting.  This doesn't last long though, so make sure you add the dressing right before you serve it.  And if you think you might not need it all, hold half back and only use half of the dressing.  I promise, it can get slimy the next day.

Hawaiian Cabbage Salad
Adapted from Saveur magazine, July 2011

1 large head green cabbage, shredded
8 green onions, white and green parts, sliced thin
1 (2-ounce) package slivered almonds
1 (4.4-ounce) package Alessi sesame breadsticks, crushed
1 (3.5-ounce) package chicken flavored ramen
3 teaspoons black sesame seeds
Salad Dressing

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl.  Pour dressing over salad and mix just before serving.

Salad Dressing

¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup sesame oil
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon Accent powder
¼ cup mirin
¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
½ teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Seasoning packet from chicken flavored ramen

Whisk all ingredients together.

No comments: