Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Vegan Planet: Smoky Maple Mixed Beans and Kale


I'm trying to eat healthy.  Honestly I am.  I'm looking towards the end of the month and all of the holiday craziness and thinking...I am going to gain about 10 pounds if I don't reign this sucker in.  Everyday can't be a holiday after all.  So I'm going to try being a vegetarian for a little bit.  Maybe a week.  Maybe a month.  Maybe a day.  But at least I'm trying.

I saw this recipe online as I was desperately scouring vegan and vegetarian websites for something filling and tasty and meatless.  The dish is actually pretty fabulous.  I would definitely eat this next to my roast chicken.  And see all that green?  That's vitamins calling your name.  You'd better answer.

Smoky Maple Mixed Beans and Kale
Adapted from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the kale and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the beans, then add the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.  Simmer for 10 minutes longer to blend the flavors.  Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.  Serve hot.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: