Monday, October 19, 2015

Wolfgang Puck: Rotkohl (Braised Red Cabbage)


I think I missed all of the Oktoberfest parties in my area.  I'm not sure how I managed that. It's probably for the best though, as the food at these fests is more American and much, much less German. (Although I could do with some kaese spaetzle).  So when I saw a pretty red cabbage at the grocery store, my German heritage insisted that I do something to celebrate.

Rotkohl (Braised Red Cabbage)
Adapted from Wolfgang Puck

2 tablespoons peanut oil
½ medium red onion, sliced
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 cup red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon)
1 cup orange juice
Grated rind from 1 orange
½ cinnamon stick
1½ teaspoons ginger powder
Salt and pepper
2 pounds red cabbage, cut into julienne

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Heat a heavy casserole. Add peanut oil. Sauté red onion until translucent. Sprinkle in brown sugar and cook for a few minutes until it starts to caramelize.

Add sliced apples and deglaze with the red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil. Add red wine and orange juice, orange rind, cinnamon stick, ginger powder, and salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add red cabbage and continue to cook for about 10 minutes on top of the stove.

Cover cabbage with foil and bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes. Remove. taste, and adjust seasoning, if necessary.

Makes 6 servings

No comments: