Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Washington Post: Boiled Cider


I recently came across a recipe for an apple pie that I'm going to make for Thanksgiving.  It sounds amazing, but there was one ingredient I hadn't used before: boiled cider.  I think the whole point was to send off to King Arthur Flour (the author of the recipe) for a bottle of their boiled cider, but why do that when I can make it at home?  I'm almost embarrassed to post a recipe for it.  "Boil cider until syrupy."  Yup, that's about it.  It makes this fabulous syrup with this deep apple flavor that I'm sure will make this pie fantastic.  Now, I obviously didn't use a gallon's worth of cider, but if you make the full recipe, you can pour this stuff on all sorts of breads, oatmeal, ice cream...

Boiled Cider
Adapted from The Washington Post website, September 14, 2011

1 gallon fresh, preservative-free apple cider

Pour the cider into a large, heavy-bottomed nonreactive stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low, skimming off any scum that collects on the edges; cook uncovered for 4 to 5 hours or until it has reduced to a little more than 2 cups, stirring more frequently as needed in the last 30 minutes to keep the cider from scorching. The boiled cider is done when it coats the back of a spoon, with a consistency like that of maple syrup.

Transfer to sterilized jars. Cool completely. The boiled cider is ready to use right away; or, sealed tightly, it can be refrigerated indefinitely.

Makes 2½ cups

No comments: