Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook: Pecan Sandies


Do you know what my favorite Christmas cookies are?  Here's a hint: It's not sugar cookies or chocolate chip.  It's these little nutty balls that my mom has been making for just about ever.  I've seen them called all sorts of other names: Mexican Wedding Cookies, Snowball Cookies, Hungarian Pecan Cookies.  But to me, they've always been pecan sandies.  And no Christmas will ever be complete without them.

Pecan Sandies
From the 1974 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
⅓ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream the butter and sugar; add the water and vanilla; mix well. Blend in the flour and nuts; chill the dough for 4 hours.

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Shape the chilled dough into balls or fingers. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. Remove from pan; cool slightly; roll in powdered sugar.

Makes 3 dozen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We used to make these every year for Christmas; but my mom added dates to the recipe. Oh my gosh they were my favorite cookie. We called them Date Nut Balls. Love them and bring back such great memories of Christmas.