Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Mango Chutney Chicken Salad


Well, I had to wait a whole day to get my chicken salad, but here it is, in all its chutney glory.  I kinda just baked this recipe up in my head, mostly as a vehicle for and excuse to eat...chutney.  Because it's gross if you just eat chutney with a spoon, right?  And I'm normally not a big fan of chicken salad with fruit in it, but this certainly is an exception.  In fact, this might be one of the better chicken salad sandwiches I've ever had.  And considering how my parents like small mom-and-pop lunch places that serve chicken/tuna/ham/egg salad, that's certainly saying something.

Note: You can certainly use jarred chutney if you don't want to take up your whole evening cooking a batch, but please, at least try to find one that is actually British.  This reminds me of the old Pace picante sauce commercial.  The one where they mock salsa made in...gasp...New York City!  Yeah, don't be that person.

Mango Chutney Chicken Salad

2 rotisserie chicken breasts, skin removed and meat pulled into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
¼ cup mayonnaise
½ cup full-fat plain yogurt
½ cup sliced almonds
3 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
¾ cup Major Grey's Mango Chutney
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients well in a large bowl.  Serve scooped onto lettuce leaves or as a filling for sandwiches.

Makes 4 cups

No comments: