Sunday, May 08, 2016

Bon Appétit: Iced Turmeric Latte


When I saw this fun yellow drink in my food magazine, I was drawn to it immediately.  Turmeric has all these great health benefits, so why not turn it into something else I love...an iced latte!  Seems perfect.  Except...it's not.  This drink is not good.  It's not in the least bit sweet, and it tastes like some sort of bad herbal medicine.  And after I went out of my way to find cashew milk and fresh turmeric root!!  Maybe it's good if you're just that crazy about getting some fresh turmeric in your diet, but personally I'll stick with Indian food.

Iced Turmeric Latte
From Bon Appétit magazine, April 2016

1 cup cashew milk
4 teaspoons finely grated fresh turmeric
2 teaspoons finely grated palm sugar or raw sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 pinches of ground cardamom
Pinch of flaky sea salt
Lemon wedge (for serving)

Whisk milk, turmeric, palm sugar, ginger, lemon juice, cardamom, and salt in a small bowl until sugar and salt have dissolved; let sit 5 minutes to let flavors meld. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract juices; discard solids.

Fill a glass with ice. Pour latte over and serve with lemon wedge.

Makes 1 latte

No comments: