Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Alton Brown: Cranberry Sauce Molds


Can you tell I was feeling nostalgic?  Come on, guys!  Wiggly cranberry jellies?  I know I'm not the only person who was eating those canned molds as a child.  Well, at least Alton and I understand.  Although I did decide not to take it quite as far as making them in actually used cans.  These half-rounds are prettier I think.  And in order to find a can, I'd have to sacrifice the gelatinous contents to the garbage disposal gods, so it worked out better this way.

Note: These turned out a bit tarter than I generally like.  But I have an insatiable sweet tooth.  So it may just be me.

Cranberry Sauce Molds
Adapted from Alton Brown

¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
¼ cup 100% cranberry or pomegranate juice
1 cup honey (12 ounces by weight)
1 ounce crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1 pound fresh cranberries (approximately 4 cups)
Grated rind of one orange
2 tablespoons cognac

Combine the orange juice, cranberry juice, honey and ginger in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the cranberries, orange rind, and cognac and increase heat to medium, cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries burst and the mixture thickens. As it thickens, drop the temperature to low, to prevent splattering. Do not cook for more than 15 minutes, as the pectin will start to break down and the sauce will not set as well.

Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes.  Carefully spoon the cranberry sauce into a 3-cup mold. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to overnight.

Once the cranberry sauce has cooled, overturn the mold and slide out the sauce. Slice and serve.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

No comments: