Saturday, September 02, 2017

Food52: Salmon in Sorrel Sauce


I have had this recipe in my file for years.  Yes, years.  I'm a recipe packrat, I suppose.  But whenever I see something that sounds awesomely delicious, I squirrel it away into my binders and leave myself a mental note to be on the lookout for whatever random hard-to-find ingredient is required.  Then, a year or more later, when I finally find the rare ingredient, I have to remember what the heck I was planning to cook with it.  This, my friends, was worth the wait.

Salmon in Sorrel Sauce
From Food52

1 pound beautiful, wild, center cut salmon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups fresh sorrel leaves, chopped rough
¼ cup chervil leaves
½ cup chives, with flowers if possible
½ cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper

Adjust an oven rack to be at the very top of the oven.  Preheat the broiler.

Prepare all ingredients and stage.  This dish comes together quickly and you don't want to be scrambling.  Hold back the chive flowers, if you have them.

Slice the salmon into thin medallions.  A flexible salmon slicing knife is my choice, but any long thin knife will work well. It must be very sharp.  Slice on a slight angle cutting away the skin as you go. Aim for 16 pieces.  Place the salmon on a sheet pan lined with parchment and very lightly oiled. Brush the tops very lightly with oil.  Sprinkle salt and pepper over the fish.

When the oven is ready, start the sauce.  In a large, wide skillet, melt the butter until it starts to toast. It should be golden brown.  At this point, put the salmon under the broiler.

Add the sorrel, chervil and chives to the butter and coat quickly.  Allow them to wilt a little, and then pour in the cream.  Bring to a boil and reduce just until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.  Taste and adjust for salt and pepper, remembering you have seasoned the fish.

The salmon should now be ready (2 to 3 minutes).  Watch it carefully the entire time it's in the oven -- it could take you as little as 30 seconds, depending on your oven.

Dry the warm plates. Place four medallions per person on each plate and decorate with the sauce, being very generous. Sprinkle chive flower petals and serve with crusty bread.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: