Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook: Chili con Carne


Okay, I admit that I did not cook up this pot of chili for my family's pre-trick-or-treating repast.  That would be my sister's creation.  But this chili recipe has played such a part of my family's history, going back to my early childhood, that I wanted to capture it while it was hot from the stove.  While this isn't anything close to a real Texas chili, it was my mother's go-to for us, and I highly recommend it served over some egg noodles for maximum enjoyment and nostalgia.

Chili con Carne
From the 1974 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

1 pound ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
¾ cup chopped green pepper
1 (1-pound) can tomatoes, broken up
1 (1-pound) can dark red kidney beans, drained
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
1 bay leaf

In a heavy skillet, cook meat, onion, and green pepper until meat is lightly browned and vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove bay leaf.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: