Saturday, November 04, 2017

The Bun Shop: Ba'Corn Cheese


When I saw the chef making this skillet of deliciousness one weekend while I was half-watching the TV, I dropped what I was doing.  I mean, this is sweet corn, smothered in bacon and cheese.  That is right up there with brownies and perfect mashed potatoes.  The chef claimed this was some sort of Korean bar food, but I never saw this when I lived in Seoul.  If I had, it would have been my dinner EVERY NIGHT.  If you want to bump up the spice level a bit, I think you could hit this with some sriracha and all would be right with the world.

Ba'Corn Cheese
From The Bun Shop, as seen on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 strips bacon, chopped
½ jalapeño, seeded and minced
2 cups sweet corn, fresh or canned
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ cup mozzarella cheese

Place a 5- or 6-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven; preheat the oven to broil.

Heat a wok or sauté pan over high heat. Add the butter and bacon and cook until the bacon is crisp, about 20 seconds. Toss in the jalapeño and corn, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the corn kernels start to char a little bit, 20 to 30 seconds. Add the garlic and half of the scallions. Add the sweetened condensed milk, mayonnaise, and ¼ cup of the mozzarella and cook until the cheese is melted and the ingredients are well mixed, another 20 seconds.

With a towel, grab your hot skillet from the broiler and carefully pour in the corn-cheese mixture. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup mozzarella over the top and set under the broiler until golden brown, 30 to 45 seconds. Garnish with the remaining scallions.

Makes 2 to 4 servings

No comments: